Friday, June 30, 2017

In the Header: Jane Guthridge


Changing Light 3, 2017; Dura-Lar, encaustic and archival inkjet on Kozo; 20 x 18 x 4 inches


"Moving from the Midwest to the abundant sunlight and dramatic skies of Colorado has inspired my work. I have always been interested in looking closely at nature and find that the vast areas of wilderness in the West allow for a deeper contemplation of the ethereal qualities of the natural world -- the rich colors of the land, the gentle curve of plants, the patterns of dappled light through trees. I abstract and reconfigure these patterns to convey the underlying rhythms and harmonies of our environment, creating a space that is somewhere between the real and the imagined.

"I employ complex layers of color and light to create the sensation of deep space. I layer translucent encaustic prints and Dura-Lar to bend and refract, obscure and reveal, diffusing light in various ways. As the light surrounding the work changes throughout the day, the work will change as well. I think this constant change is a beautiful metaphor for life."

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness. Loved waking up to the fresh issue of PWJ. So full of informative and just plain beautiful work. I must take a break now but this issue is destined for complete intake by me before this long holiday weekend is complete. Don't ever think this Journal is not treasured!

    ReplyDelete