Saturday, October 6, 2018

Studio Visit: Jodi Reeb, Minneapolis

Edited by Paula Fava

Jodi Reeb in her studio


Jodi Reeb works in a co-op studio building that houses 23 artists,  the Traffic Zone Center for Visual Art. “We own the building with Artspace Projects,” says Jodi, describing a partnership that was created 23 years ago when developers were buying historical buildings in Minneapolis and displacing renting artists. “I have been a member for 13 years, and it’s been an amazing experience to be part of such a talented group of artists. I also have the opportunity to coordinate the Traffic Zone Gallery in our lobby”.



The TZCVA is housed in a restored six-story, Chicago-style limestone warehouse located in the North Loop neighborhood. “The Traffic Zone building is of significant historic and architectural interest and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places," says Jodi. "It was built in 1886 as a warehouse for storing farm machinery and implements and later converted to a Nabisco bakery. In 1992, the warehouse was purchased by Artspace Projects and the artist co-op was created. 

“I love the tall 14 foot high ceilings, hardwood floors and huge windows. I have 950 square feet that I've divided into two working spaces, one for encaustic painting and one for acrylic/mixed-media and sculpture, as well as gallery area where I can step back from my work.
                                                                        

Panoramic view of the studio


 Studio entrance 

“I have spent studio days with other artists  sharing information and have taught workshops to others. I have also collaborated with Patrick Pryor to create site-specific wall sculptures consisting of wire and nails. I received an inquiry for a project based on my wire sculptures and it seemed natural to collaborate with him to create large-scale works because of his engineering background. We are also married and our studios are next to each other but separate. We are both full-time artists and often give each other feedback on our work.


Arial view of workshop in progress.

“I love layering processes of color and translucency. I have a printmaking background and process and repetition has always been a part of my no matter the medium I work in. This year was my proudest moment when I received the Minnesota State Arts Board Grant to create a new body of mixed-media encaustic paintings raising awareness about the affects on pollinators in Minnesota. I had applied for 12 years previously and am so excited to have this recognition.”  


No comments:

Post a Comment